Davis Engineering & Surveying, LLC (DES) provides training, certification, and recertification for site superintendents, builders, grading and utility contractors, developers, monitoring consultants, regulatory inspectors, designers and others in the construction industry to meet the requirements of the Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission. Our courses provide our students with the required information to achieve certification and implement best management practices (BMPs) while meeting the requirements of the law.
Subcontractor Awareness Seminar (White Card)
The Subcontractor Awareness Course is a 2-hour seminar with no exam that is intended to provide individuals working as subcontrators or subconsultants with an overview of erosion, sedimentation, and pollution control and its impacts on the environment, vegetative and structural Best Management Practices (BMPs), and the laws governing erosion and sedimentation. Individuals working in a subcontractor capacity after December 31, 2007 are required to obtain certification unless the individual possesses a Level IA certification.
Seminar Attendees could include, but are not limited to:
- Grading personnel, as well as grading and earthmoving equipment operators
- Irrigation system personnel (residence, commercial and industrial sites)
- Landscape personnel
- Utility personnel (excludes entities regulated by the PSC or FERC, and other entities listed in O.C.G.A. 12-7-17(10), if within a Common Development
- Wastewater personnel installing on-site systems (includes septic tank excavation and drain fields)
- Well drilling personnel (includes directional boring equipment operators)
- Plumbers and electricians (will require certification if conducting a land disturbing activity within a permitted project site).
- Best management practice installation personnel Other personnel involved in land disturbing activities acting as a contractor or subcontractor
Level IA Fundamentals Course (Blue Card)
The Level IA Fundamentals Course is a 1-day course with exam that is intended to train contractors, builders, site superintendents, developers, grading and utility contractors, and monitoring consultants in the proper installation, maintenance, and inspection of Best Management Practices (BMPs) on construction sites. Topics covered in this course are fundamentals of erosion and sediment control, the Georgia Erosion & Sedimentation Act, NPDES Permits, field maintenance, stream buffers, vegetative and structural BMP practices.
Requirements for Level IA Certification
- You must register for and attend a Conservation Commission approved and posted "Fundamentals Seminar" (Level IA)
- You must submit the appropriate certification application
- Take and receive a passing score of 70% on the Level IA certification exam.
Level IB Advanced Fundamentals Course (Red Card)
The Level IB Advanced Fundamentals Course is a 2-day course designed to train regulatory enforcement inspectors and non-regulatory personnel inspectors contracted to do regulatory work to accurately inspect land disturbance areas for compliance with state erosion and sedimentation laws. The course will cover several topics such as the role of the inspector, ES&PC planning and review, and local program overview criteria.
Requirements for Level IB Certification
- Must have completed 60 days work experience in the field of erosion and sediment control.
- In lieu of 60 days work experience, you may obtain a Level IA Certification.
- You must register for and attend a Conservation Commission approved and posted "Advanced Fundamentals" Seminar.
- Submit the appropriate certification application
- Take and receive a passing score of 70% on a Level IB certification exam.